Today’s Topic How to create a fantasy magic system that works
Magic is really one of the key features of a fantasy world. Michael and I figured to stay on the ball we should now cover in depth creating a magic system for your fantasy world.
Podcast Show Flow
- Why is magic system framework important?
- Saves time to start storytelling
- Avoid lame Deus ex Machina or a god from a machine
- Creates character conflicts
- Saves time adding detail later
- 1st Rule of Magic: What type of Magic System?
- 2nd Rule of Magic: How is magic powered?
- 3rd Rule of Magic: How magic is used?
- 4th Rule of Magic: Who can use magic?
- 5th Rule of Magic: What can magic not do?
- 6th Rule of Magic: What is the price of Magic?
- 7th Rule of Magic: What happens when magic fails?
- Story warnings
- Magic systems do not make good stories
- Be careful breaking your rules
- Frame the system, track the details as you use it
- Follow your rules as you go forward
- Be careful limiting your system
The Worldbuilding Task for the Day
Look at your magic system, did you consider all the rules
The Real-world Task for the Day
Join the undercroft and let us know what rules we missed
Use Gardul.com/Amazon when shopping online to help support the show
Please take a moment and comment below on this episode. I look forward to hearing from you about your Fantasy Worldbuilding adventures